What is IFMSA-Spain?
( 7 Articles )
What is IFMSA-Spain?
IFMSA (International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations) is one of the biggest student organizations in the World. Founded in Copenhaguen in 1951, it aims to encourage cooperation between medical students worldwide by:
· Being a forum for discussion between medical students on topics related to health, education and medicine; and after the debate, establish a positionment and develop activities in consequence.
· Promoting humanitarian and ethical ideals amongst medical students.
· Serving as a platform for the development of clinical and research exchanges as well as projects run by medical students.
· Being the instrument to establish contacts and cooperation with other national and international organisations.
Nowadays, The International Federation of Medical Students’ Association has a broad representation of approximately one million members and over 1200 medical faculties in 98 member countries and working in close relation with medical students’ associations from all over the globe. IFMSA is recognized by both the United Nations and the World Health Organisation as the international forum for Medical Students. Its activities include 7,500 student exchanges a year and an incredible wealth of student-led projects which fall into four main fields of interest: medical education, public health, refugees and conflict prevention and reproductive health, including HIV/AIDS.
( 2 Articles )
Spain is a full member of IFMSA since the beginning of the 60s (1964), with the name: IFMSA-Spain , Spanish Federation of Medical Students’ Associations for International Cooperation.
IFMSA-Spain is a non-governmental organisation without a political affiliation, based on a federal structure with local committees in each medical faculty (21 with local committees and 1 where we have contacts and they are working to set up the association). IFMSA-Spain is managed by medical students who carry out different activities.
On a national level, the decision making body is the National Assembly, that meets annually in October. This assembly revises the work done during the year, renews the elected people on the Executive Board, approves the budget for the year and hold different activities related to the working groups as well as establish an action plan for the next year.
This meeting is the most important one related to internal management of the federation, the participating students also receive:
- Seminars: trainings (communication, team-work, fundraising, internal operation, leadership, public presentations)
- Workshops: global health, European Convergence, Medical Ethics, Transexuality, Access to Essential Medicine…
- Special guests: IFMSA Officials, colleagues from organisations that IFMSA collaborates with (National Council of Medical
- tudents, Health Science Student Association, international associations…)
- We meet all students working in Spain to reach the same goal: Health for ALL.
During the year, IFMSA-Spain’s work is supervised and coordinated by the Executive board that is comprised by President, Vicepresident for Internal Affairs, Secretary General, Treasurer and seven National Coordinators (representing each of our Standing Committees); there are also support persons to the Executive Board that are Vicepresident for External Affairs, Training Director and Webmaster. These are voted upon secretly (one vote per faculty) after the presentation of their candidatures.
As a fundamental part of the work of the association, the Executive Board assists at leat 2 international meetings a year; that take place in March and August. These meetings are attended by and average of 700 medical students worldwide that are members of IFMSA, and representatives of different institutions (UNESCO, UN, WFME, WHO…). The work of the General Assembly is concentrated during a week.
( 8 Articles )
( 2 Articles )